CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Always learning

I have to say that I tend to be an initial worrier. What I mean by this is that when I start learning or being informed of something new I panic and think worst case senerio. I really wish I didn't do this but I do. I haven't written in a while and have had been tinking a lot about what it means to have our daughter (and soon to be son) who are (will be) transracially adopted. We had classes on raising internationally adopted children required by our agency when we adopted our daughter. (which were great and I believe should be requiremnts). I learned a lot during these classes and was challenged by them as well. I don't know if I really digested all that was presented to me (especially with our triad panel). For those of you who don't know what this means it is: adoptees, birthparents, and adoptive parents. Now that I have our daughter and she is getting older (yes I know she is only two) I am really trying to educate myself more so I can hopefully give her what she needs being a transracial adoptee. I'm new at blogging and have encountered some blogs of adult adoptees. I have to say first reading some of these I felt (as I stated above) paniced along with fearful, unprepared, unexperienced, and nieve to some of the things that transratial adoptees have and do go through. I was not totally unaware of this but I have a better (still I'm sure very limited understanding) of what some of these individuals have and will go through. BUT after thinking more and reading more (from all different perspectives) Iam glad to have this information and will use it to help my children in the best way I can. As a mother I want to protect my children from all harsh realities in life but I know I can't or even should. So I am more commited then ever to help raise my children to be who they are and hopefully be proud of who they are. I know this can not be done all on my own and will need resources or influences from others (especially other transracial adoptees who will know what my children are going through more then I ever could). So I can either live in fear for myself and my children or be proactive. I choose to be proactive because I love my children and chose them. I'm also thanful for the sights I have read on ethical adoptions and wish we had to take a class on this when we adopted our daughter. I pray God gives me the strength and knowledge to do what is right and support those who are and trying to make a positive and just difference for orphaned and adopted children. I have found quite a few books on the subject and can't wait to read them all. I will post them as I read them.

4 comments:

Meredith said...

So nice to meet you out here in blogland. I must say that I have more than my fair share of worst-case tendencies (drives my husband crazy). Right now, all of mine seem to be focused on the state of affairs in Vietnam adoption. :) I just keep reminding myself that this type of worry is an absolute waste of energy and stealing from my joy today. Can't wait to read more about your journey!

Laura said...

Hi there! I came across your blog and wanted to let you know that I had these exact same feelings back when I started educating myself on what it means to raise a TRA child. When I first started reading about a year ago, I wanted to throw up a lot, but then I expanded my reading material to find a middle ground. It's hard stuff, huh?

It's great that your agency had balanced classes for you. The classes we were required to take left a lot to be desired, although you made a really good point that I didn't consider. I'm not sure I would have digested everything, either, that early in the process.

Anyway, just wanted to say hello!

Laurie and Travis said...

You will be an awesome mommy to your transracially adopted kids...a lot of people read adult adoptee stuff and blow it off, probably because it's overwhelming and easier to ignore it than be proactive. Good for you! I've been there too with regards to that panicky, fearful, inadequate feeling when I realized how much more there is to raising our kids than meets the eye.

LaLa said...

I read quite a bit of adult adoptees too and it can be overwhelming and disturbing. We want to believe that our children will always be happy and confident...but we have a lot to learn and you are doing a great job educating yourselves : )